While Magento 1.9.4.x will stop receiving updates from Magento in June of this year, the JetRails team will continue to provide managed web hosting services to customers that choose to stay on Magento 1 past that date.
While we’re proud to support many merchants that have migrated to Magento 2, we also recognize that a large number of Magento 1 sites will live on well past the official “end of life” date. That’s why we’ve been working for months to prepare for June 2020 and will continue to do so.
What happens when the Magento 1 end of life date hits?
“While moving to a supported platform is always the best option, there is another solution for ecommerce retailers who aren’t prepared for immediate migration. Putting a Magento 1 site behind a reliable website firewall provides virtual patching of any vulnerabilities — helping maintain day-to-day operations and PCI compliance.”
JetRails will continue to host Magento 1. We have been working with our network of security partners to make additional measures available for our Magento 1 clients.
Our threat monitoring and malware detection tools will continue to support Magento 1 installations. For example, we’ve partnered with Sucuri, one of the best-known security providers in the Magento ecosystem. Solutions like these are intended to offer our clients additional security options until they migrate to a platform like Magento 2.
What else should you do?
– Ensure that your installation (core and plugins) is compatible with PHP 7.2
– Consider taking advantage of ongoing patches being made available to Magento 1 users by the open-source community, such as from OpenMage.
– Verify that your developers, and vendors such as your payment processor, will continue to support Magento 1. JetRails is here to introduce other options as-needed!
– Remove unnecessary extensions, and complete a Magento Security Audit to make sure your site is following security best-practices.
– Follow additional best-practices to keep your site safe and secure.
Still unsure about what to do? Have questions about staying on Magento 1, or about how to keep your Magento 1 site secure? We’re here to help with your Magento 1 End of Life hosting and security needs!